On 2018-01-29 20:35, Alexander Kapshuk wrote:

> To compile the kernel with a different compiler, the method shown
> below may be used, e.g.:
> make CC=clang

Unfortunately, this has the annoying side effect that kconfig forces a
full reconfiguration, asking every question.  Maybe there is a way
around that but looking at the complexity of the Makefile, I'm scared
to mess with it.

What I did in the end was to prepend the following to PATH:

/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/7.3.0:

I use a pretty complex script for building kernels, so adding this to
the script was small potatoes.  And indeed, after a reboot I see I have
full mitigation against spectre_v2.  Now what about spectre_v1?