As superuser Windowmaker runs, as a user, it aborts saying "no fonts
found" or similar.

I checked the www.fontconfig.org site and there is hardly any
documentation there.  It was no help.

The www.windowmaker.org site had one tip for possibly solving this
error- make sure locale is set right, or in worst case, unset the LANG
variable.  None of these ideas worked.  Maybe they need to be set before
compiling Windowmaker???  I don't know.

Looking at the Windowmaker config files:  /etc/X11/WindowMaker/WMGlobal
and /etc/X11/WindowMaker/Windowmaker and the corresponding ~/GNUStep
config files, Windowmaker is looking for the Trebuchet MS, Luxi Sans
font, which does reside in my system in the /usr/share/fonts/TTF
directory.  The TTF directory is included in my xorg.conf file.

So I tried to hack  the ~/GNUStep config files to use different fonts,
and that did not help either.

A search of the gentoo-user archives didn't find anything.

So I am at a loss as to why I can't run Windowmaker as a user.

Sincerely,  Rob.