On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 22:09:47 -0300, Matthew R. Lee wrote:

> I had dbus, hal, and ivman in my package.keywords file.  I'm not sure
> why, something must have asked me to put them there but I can't
> remember what, though the only other package that I have that depends
> on dbus is kdebase-kioslaves.  Anyway, I removed them from
> package.keywords.  emerge --unmerge(d) the packages and then emerged
> the older versions.  Now everything is working.  Don't ask me why,
> because I don't know, but now I can go home to my bed :-)

The HAL API changed with the 0.5 series. You cannot mix older and newer
versions of the software. The version of Ivman you are using requires
HAL 0.4x and the corresponding DBUS. The later versions were package
masked until recently, when they were unmasked (KDE 3.5 needs the later
versions, maybe GNOME 2.12 too) your emerge world updated to incompatible
versions.

The safest solution is to put

>=sys-apps/hal-0.5
>=sys-apps/dbus-0.36

into /etc/portage/package.mask

--
Neil Bothwick

Nobody's perfect and since I'm nobody...!