John Jolet wrote:
Why do though all the hassle of setting up a VPN when you can use SSH to
provide a secure tunnel into the network and use that instead? Works
fine for me.

# ssh -L5900:hostname:5900 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
# vncviewer localhost:0

Okay, now show me the instance where you want box->internet->box->vnc server.

That does provide a tunnel between two boxes. It's quick and simple to setup and can be used by any ssh client, regardless of the system. Whether you're on Unix or Linux. You can even do it using Windows using PuTTY.

It's good to know in case if you need access but don't have a box that can't do VPN, or there's a problem with the VPN.

If you want to open it up for some reason to another box, you can use the gateway switch (-g) and SSH will listed to all incoming connections on that port on the remote computer.

# ssh -g -L5900:remote:5900 [EMAIL PROTECTED]:port

If you set up openvpn on your ssh server, you easily can tunnel across it. Doing that with ssh would add another tunnel. Takes 5 minutes to set up.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but a VPN can add a whole level of complexity and setup, whereas if you just want to remotely access a VNC server across the Internet, SSH works great and has added security built in.

If you want to access more than VPN, i.e. SMB, or need the remote computer to 'appear' on the local network for some reason, VPN is fine - go ahead and use it.

KISS - keep it short and simple.

 Jonathan Wright                           ~ mail at djnauk.co.uk
                                           ~ www.djnauk.co.uk
--
 2.6.13-gentoo-r3-djnauk-b2 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2100+
 up 1 day, 21:39,  0 users,  load average: 0.64, 0.46, 0.33

                                                  ~ Amanda Bearse