On 26/02/18 17:24, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
On 02/26/2018 10:16 AM, Peter Humphrey wrote:

Well, I'm on amd64, not ~amd64, and this morning portage wanted to remerge
217 packages. Removing --changed-deps reduced that to one: sys-devel/llvm.

You do need to reinstall those.

The latest (un)stable versions of automake are hard-coded in
autotools.eclass, and they wind up in the dependency string of every
ebuild that uses the eclass. It's stupid, we don't need to do it, and it
breaks all of those packages for other PMS-compliant package managers
(--changed-deps is portage-only). Sorry, we can't make people not do
this, apparently.

Can't you whitelist packages like automake so that they don't trigger rebuilds? Or at least provide a configurable whitelist (for make.conf) where we can add packages that don't trigger changed-deps rebuilds?

There is no reason to rebuild anything just because of an automake update. This is just madness.