On 2018-03-01, Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Mar 2018 15:10:58 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
>
>> I despise all inkjets, but maybe that's just me.
>
> It's not.
>
>> I'd pick mono laser over any inkjet.
>
> That depends on your printing needs. I've now got an HP colour laser AIO
> device. It was expensive but it does everything I need with minimal fuss.

Here's my HP testimonial: I've had an HP LaserJet 1320 printer (mono)
for almost 15 years.  It's brilliant: 1200DPI, Postscript, Duplexing.
It still works like it did when it was new.

I've had to by _one_ toner cartridge, it's still got many miles left
on it.

I don't print much, and the one Canon ink-jet printer I had before the
HP LaserJet had an operating cost of about $10/page.  Yes, dollars.
Once every couple months, I'd need to print a few pages -- and I'd
have to by yet another new cartridge and thow out the 99% full one
that had stopped working.

> The only point I'd make about HP AIO devices is that while the hplip
> package is free and open source, to use it with a scanner it downloads a
> non-free binary blob. Whether this matters depends on whether you are a
> pragmatist or zealot ;-)

If I cared about scanning, I'd be very tempted to spend enough money
to get a network-connected printer that just e-mails me a PDF document
or writes it to a network file server.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! We just joined the
                                  at               civil hair patrol!