Hi,

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 04:37:25 +0100
Stroller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> http://dansguardian.org/?page=copyright2
>
> I read that as "your friend can download it for non-commercial use &
> then distribute it to you for free under the GPL for you to use for
> commercial purposes".

I don't agree. In my opinion the legal status of this document is that
it carries two licences but no option to freely chose between them if
you're using it commercially. It's GPLed only in a non-commercial
context. You'd need a lawyer (most probably this isn't enough, you'd
need a court and a judge's decision instead) to exactly analyze the
clause and it's problematic "upon downloading" clause. It says "GPL"ed
(and even has some mentioning of RMS) but it isn't clearly GPL, though.
In the mentioned way to circumvent the license, there's the question if

- redistributing to another (commercial) party is "relicencing" (only
the author - or holder of copyright in other countries' laws - can do
this)
- the "GPL" really is a GPL here.

-hwh