Aleksander Okonski wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I have run into a strange problem with my nvidia drivers and gentoo. I am
> currently
> running kernel 4.14.14 and I upgraded my x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers to 390.42
> from 390.25.
> Once the new drivers were installed I rebooted my laptop. Once rebooted I was
> unable to
> start the xorg server using startx and was greeted with errors. The
> /var/logs/xorg.0.log
> said that the problem was with the kernel module. Looking at dmesg I see that
> I am getting
> the error:
>
> NVRM: API mismatch: the client has the version 390.42, but this kernel module
> has version
> 390.25. please make sure that this kernel module and all NVIDIA driver
> components have the
> same version.

I had a similar problem for months, finally I looked into /lib or /usr/lib (I
think it was
an nvidia/ subdirectory of these) and found that some symlinks where pointing
to old
versions of the libraries provided by nvidia. I adjusted the symlinks to point
to the new
versions and the message disappeared.

Sorry I cannot be more precise but it was some time ago and right now I'm on an
nvidia-less system.

Note that in my case it was just an annoying log message, the server did start
successfully.

raffaele