Very often, for a some large FLOSS project (often but not always
packaged by gentoo) I am interested in answering the question:

Which official released released versions V1.0, V2.0 etc contain a
particular commit C1ABCDE?

Using branches as an imperfect but mostly OK proxy for releases, the
question becomes:

Into which branches B_1_0_foo, B_2_0_bar etc has C1ABCDE been merged?

Unfortunately I know of no direct way of answering either question with
the web UI of github and its siblings, and this has bugged me for a long
time.  Of course I can clone the repository and answer the question with
command line git or gitk, but for really large projects this consumes
considerable resources on my computer, and worse, significant time for
the download.

So, am I missing some feature of github which would allow me to do this?