Alexander Skwar schreef:
> No, that doesn't make sense. A simple question: Why is 3dfx not in
> the default set of USE flags? If you install a graphics software,
> like xorg, 3dfx users probably want it. And if you're not a 3dfx
> user, it won't do harm.

For something like 3dfx, this is not necessarily true. I've certainly
had packages (mplayer, kernel) fail because *hardware* support was
enabled for things I couldn't use (and even things I should be able to
use but can't for this package-- I generally have to compile mplayer
-mmx and -sse or it won't compile, even though my AMD CPU supports both
instruction sets).

In general, I've found both the kernel and individual packages to be
quite sensitive when compiling optional support for hardware that is not
present.

So in that example, it likely *can* do harm.

Optional *software* support is a different matter entirely.

Holly