Jerry McBride wrote:

On Monday 17 October 2005 14:18, Richard Fish wrote:
Jerry McBride wrote:
No. Once the kernel reboots, the dmesg data is lost. Unless ofcourse you
put this in /etc/conf.d/local.start:

#!/bin/bash
# /etc/conf.d/local.start
/bin/dmesg > /var/log/dmesg
FYI, the bootmisc init script already does this for you, or at least it
does with the ~x86 baselayout.  Just "rc-update -a bootmisc boot" if it
isn't already turned on.

Richard, where is this documented? I've missed it entirely....

Well, the authoritative document is "less /etc/init.d/bootmisc". ;-> I don't know if it is documented somewhere else. You should find:

       # Create an 'after-boot' dmesg log
       #
       touch /var/log/dmesg
       chmod 640 /var/log/dmesg
       dmesg > /var/log/dmesg

I just checked the stable baselayout (1.11.13-r1), and it seems to be there.

-Richard