what thermal grease did you use?  did you clean all the old stuff off.  Be
aware that the lids on cpu chips are usually somewhat concave on the top,
recently had to add a drop of thermal grease to regreased cpu that was running
too hot even idleing.  solved it completely.  current processors are large
enough and concave enough to require more grease than seems right to someone
experienced with older electronics.

There is a huge difference between common silicone grease suitable for amp's
and higher performance products.   basic thermal grease is a sick joke for a
cpu.   Some of the better stuff is stiff, and overpriced thanks to mad gamers
and other overclockers.   I Love the pk-3 stuff with nanoaluminum but it has to
be fairly hot to spread well, then again it takes 2-3 minutes to settle and
markedly lowers cpu temps when heavily loaded.  Previous favorite was ceramax.

ignore the hype and any brand that doesn't provide the thermal resistance or
conductivity (which are inverses, of course so either is fine for choosing,
thermal conductivity should be high, thermal resistance should be low).  Most
are insulators at low voltages due to surface oxidation and the oil etc, on
power wiring probably not a good idea.

most greases need to bake and be through power cycling a few times for optimum
performance, they thin when warm.  with my particular favorite grease it only
takes 2-3 minutes powered on to reach optimum performance.  my preference also
avoids wasting silver and just uses extremely fine aluminum powder and some
additives.

And what cpu has any one seen working without a heatsink in the last ten years
other than some system on a chip or very low end embedded processor?
Seriously,  unless I've been in hibernation some how i doubt it.

mad.scientist.at.large (a good madscientist)
--
God bless the rich, the greedy and the corrupt politicians they have put into
office.   God bless them for helping me do the right thing by giving the rich