So are there currently any languages (currently in use/supported)  designed to
avoid the problems with C and other languages?

Something with strong types and provisions for automatic input validation
beyond typing, i.e. range limitation?

Something that compiles, something that doesn't self optimize (math may be
good, but just like encryption the implementation can be flawed/exploitable due
to various errors).  Because you can't validate a moving target.

something that strongly isolates data from code, something that protects the
heap and stack aggressively (other than just os implemented mechanisms like
stack canaries).

Any suggestions?  I'm going to be picking up programming again and I'd greatly
prefer spending my time using a language that has security built in rather than
depend on the application programmer adding protections after the fact.

I'll still have to learn C as well,  so I can understand/modify existing code
but I'd like to be as proactive as possible about security and reliability  in
what I write.  And again, something that compiles.  Not specificly looking at
writing web apps per say, though i'd also be interested in any well
secured/proactive languages for some internet/LAN usage.

mad.scientist.at.large (a good madscientist)
--
Read, Scream, Fight <https://www.eff.org <https://www.eff.org/>>