Hello, Dale

On Wed, Jun 06, 2018 at 13:51:24 -0500, Dale wrote:
> Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> > Hello, Dale.

> > Sorry for not replying earlier, I've had a rotten week.

> >> Dale

> No problem.  I have my days too.  :/

> Did you find the problem and get it fixed?  Just curious.

I haven't found or fixed the problem, no.  I took the cover off my
machine to check for dust, but there was suspiciously little there (the
machine had been in use for ~9 months at the time).

I was interested to hear that John gets the same problem, with the same
CPU (an early Ryzen 1700X) and the same make of motherboard (an Asus
X370).  When I say "interested", I really mean "disheartened".  It sounds
like a problem with the processor or the motherboard, or (even worse),
the interaction between the two.  It seems the problem only happens when
Linux (not Windows) is running, and I didn't managed to find anything in
the logs, either, with a brief search.

The machine isn't overheating, or anything like that.  Besides, the
crashes happen at random, usually with low machine load, not whilst I'm
building LibreOffice.  It actually rebooted during booting a week or so
ago, and if I recall correctly, none of the kernel's booting messages had
yet appeared on the screen.  That suggests, though vaguely, that the MB
is at fault.

The shop I bouught everything from seems to have gone out of business,
with both its telephone number and its website having been down for a
sustained period.  So I'm unlikely to be able to get the processor
exchanged for an unbuggy one.  Shelling out for a new processor out of my
own pocket seems too much of a long shot to justify the money (~400
Euros) and the time.

So it's looking like I'm not going to be getting the problem fixed any
time soon.  :-(

Thanks to you, and everybody else, for all the help and suggestions.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).