On 2018-06-17 18:12, Mick wrote:

> From the fine manual:
>
>  z      Zap (delete) the new config file and continue.

So what do you do if the merge of this file is too hard and you want to
do it another time?  The answer seems to be q (quit) or n (next), but
_nothing_ in the documentation says this is safe.

> For files which have a lot of changes, some of which I wish to reject
> and some to accept, I tend to use m (for merging).  Again from the
> fine manual:
>
> m      Interactively merge the current and new config files.

The problem (or multiple problems) here is that it doesn't say what is
being merged into what (no, its not symmetric), and to compound that it
doesn't just leave this file alone and quit or go on to the next file;
it shows some diff again.  What does this new diff mean?  I can't make
sense of it without answering my other questions.

To clarify: I don't think this is simply a usability problem that can be
addressed by using better or more verbose English.  I think there is a
"big picture", a concept of what is being done, and this concept has not
found its way into the documentation or the UI itself.

In particular, I suspect the developers think of it as merging my mods
into the "official" packaged versions, while I want to handle it the
other way: I see my version as the "master" or "trunk", and I want to
merge the package mods into it.

But I really don't know.  I am confused :-P