On Monday, 18 June 2018 21:28:38 BST allan gottlieb wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 18 2018, Mick wrote:
> > Hi Allan,

> > As a first step I suggest you go through the 'eselect news read new'.
> >
> > There was a profile change sometime late last year.  The profile change
> > enews is important and you should deal with it first.  It is titled:
> >
> > 'New 17.0 profiles in the Gentoo repository'
> >
> > and it involves updating gcc as part of it and perhaps changing your
> > profile if it is due to be deprecated.
>
> I had done the upgrade to 17.0 months ago.
> 17.1 is unstable so I believe 17.0 is the right profile for me.
>
> > Once you've been through all this give it another spin, but use
> > --backtrack=99 to see if portage resolves the conflicts.
>
> backtrack=99 didn't change the situation, but adding in addition
> --autounmask-backtrack=y did!

Interesting!  What did it autounmask?

> > I can't see a [B] in the list you provided, all are small blocks [b] which
> > portage will deal with on its own.
>
> The list I provided was for my update world.  That has little b's.  The
> only blockage I have is the slot conflict I mentioned originally.  The
> big B's happened when I tried
>
>    emerge -1pDv media-video/ffmpeg

Well, media-libs/x264-0.0.20130506 is no longer in the tree.  media-video/
ffmpeg-3.3.6 does not require it and works fine with media-libs/
x264-0.0.20160712.  This is why I suggested that manual removal and update
earlier on.

Unless something else is blocking ffmpeg (you've got a long update list there
which might influence it) there shouldn't be a problem with my suggested
workaround.  Nevertheless, getting portage to pontificate and resolve the
dependency graph is invariably a safer option.  ;-)

--
Regards,
Mick