On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 1:02 PM, Grant Taylor
<gtay...@gentoo.tnetconsulting.net> wrote:
> On 06/19/2018 05:57 AM, Mick wrote:
>>
>> Actually, I don't know if there is a way to set up multiple nameservers
>> for corresponding name resolution in/out of the tunnel, without using a
>> domain- specific override as you would with dnsmasq and without leaking DNS
>> queries to the ISP if you are meant to be querying the tunnel's nameservers.
>

> My go to solution would be a local DNS server that decides where different
> queries go.

That's what NM does. It uses dnsmasq. (Maybe not by default but that's
how I've got it running.)

>> Yes, those VPN implementations that set up separate routing policy tables
>> help to keep main and 'VPN' rules separate, which is neat and easy to
>> maintain.  only contains the route from the local VPN subnet to the remote
>> LAN subnet.
>

> Yep.
>
>> Quite.  The user (or his VPN client via some NM plugin) is meant to add in
>> this networkmanager IPv4/Route tab the remote LAN subnet(s) and enable "Use
>> only for resources on this connection" in order to set up a split tunnel.
>> Then tun0 will only be used to tunnel connections to these subnets.  All
>> other connections to the Internet or local LAN will go outside the tunnel,
>> using the default local gateway.
>

> *nod*
>
>> Given Hilco's results I'm surmising an empty table in the NM translates as
>> 0.0.0.0/0 and all connections end up being routed via the VPN stack, but I
>> could be wrong because I don't know what he may have entered in this table.
>
> Agreed.

Originally, I had nothing in there. Adding the one route (see my email
on June 7th) makes it working ... mostly.

>> Yes, but leaving the routes table empty ... it seems to tunnel everything
>> through it ... I don't know without trying it out myself or getting more
>> info on the settings.
>

> Ya.  This is unexpected behavior to me.  I also don't have a convenient way
> to reproduce it.
>
>> I expect you can set up a subnet here and from this the NM will configure
>> the route accordingly to make it go through the VPN stack.
>

> That is the expected behavior.
>
> IMHO the lack of additional routes mean that nothing other than the VPN link
> itself should be routed through the VPN.
>
>> Is this something I can manipulate via resolv.conf on the local PC
>> (without a local resolver) to make sure DNS searches meant for the VPN stack
>> are tunneled to the remote nameservers not leaked outside it?
>

> I don't know of a good way to do this without a local DNS server.
>
>> PS. Thanks for your write up on network namespaces.  I'll look into this
>> in more depth when I get a minute, because I would like to contain/isolate
>> desktop applications I inherently mistrust - e.g. Skype.
>

> You're welcome.  I'm glad to hear people benefiting from it.  Feel free to
> reach out if you have any questions.

Thanks for discussing this. At minimum it's quite interesting. :-)