On 2018.07.04 13:38, gevisz wrote:
> Ühel kenal päeval, T, 03.07.2018 kell 14:00, kirjutas gevisz:
Are you, by any chance, running this command through something like lxc-attach or ssh?
I had the exact same problem two days ago and it turned out to be something about the environment being passed to the remote system. Sourcing /etc/profile did the trick.
No, I do it on my desktop staying just in front of me. So, no need for ssh (and I do not know what lxc-attach is at all).

>> Still, sourcing /etc/profile somehow helped:
>
> How do you obtain root privileges for the command?

su

If you use su, you should be using "su -" (or "su -l" or "su --login"), not "su".

I have used only "su" for already 3 years, since switched to Gentoo from Ubuntu and never had any problems with it.

Could you explain a little bit more why "su -" should be used instead.
It's not so much needing the root environment, it's that sometimes things in your own environment cause problems if not removed when emerge runs. There is another recent thread about emerge (nodejs) failing because of sandbox violations due to some XDG variable causing an install script to try writing to somewhere it would not have it the environment had been properly sanitized. Note I consider this a general precaution, it may or may not be relevant for the subject of this thread. The problems caused by this issue are indeed infrequent and sporadic, so it's not surprising that you have not run into any of them. It seems to be related to the details in some ebuilds.

From the man page I've got the following:

-, -l, --login
Provide an environment similar to what the user would expect had the user logged in directly.

But I cannot see why I need the original root environment, especially if I never set it up.
That's partly the point - the root environment is generally much more empty than that of your usual user.

> If you use sudo, you might need to pass -i (--login) option to it.

I hate using sudo since I have been forced to use it in Ubuntu.
I almost never used sudo when I used Ubuntu. I used su or logged in as root when necessary.

Jack