From: "Mick" <michaelkintz...@gmail.com>
To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
Sent: 2018-07-06 10:01:20
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Portage, git and shallow cloning

On Friday, 6 July 2018 08:29:26 BST Martin Vaeth wrote:
Davyd McColl <dav...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1) `sync-depth` has been deprecated (should now use `clone-depth`)

The reason is that sync-depth was meant to be effective for
every sync, i.e. that with sync-depth=1 the clone should stay shallow.
However, it turned out that this caused frequent/occassional errors
with git syncing when earlier chunks are needed.
So they decided to drop this, and the value is only used for the
initial cloning and ignored from then on. Due to this change of
effect, it has been renamed.
> 2) with the option missing, portage was fetching the entire history

Yes, but even with this option, your history will fill up over time.
Only the initial cloning will go faster and need less space.

> 2) I believe that the original intent of defaulting to a shallow clone was
> a good idea

Due to the point mentioned above, this is not very useful anymore.
Moreover, now that full checksumming is supported for rsync, the only
advantage of using git is that you get the history (in particular
ChangeLogs).

The lack of disk space on some of my systems, metered and slow bandwidth and no need to know what every individual commit and reason for it was, had me
sticking to using rsync, after a short sting on using git.

I don't think anyone recommended git unless good reasons for one's use case
make it an optimal choice.
--
Regards,
Mick