On 2018.07.08 18:46, Philip Webb wrote:
180610 Philip Webb wrote:
> I updated to the latest stable Nvidia-drivers-396.24-r1 ,
> rebooted & 'startx' :
> the result was an X error "No devices detected ... no screens found".
> Downgrading to 390.48 got X working again.
> Nothing to see on the Forum or among Gentoo 'nvidia' bugs.
> My kernel is 4.9.16-gentoo.

I've updated to kernel 4.14.52-gentoo & tried Nvidia-drivers as above
with the same result ; downgrading to 390.67 got X working again.

Has anyone else experienced this problem or similar ?
Does anyone have advice ?

Check the xorg log. New(er) nvidia-drivers often take a bit of time to get upgraded to handle the most recent kernels. There is likely a more concrete (if no less helpful) message in the xorg log. You may need to stick to an older driver and/or kernel until one of them catches up with the other. (I no longer have an nvidia card in my Gentoo box, so I have no current specifics, but even when I did, it was legacy 340.xx.

Jack