Hey

I have a following with Telia ISP and their dhcp-server... I'm using
dhclient to get dynamic IP from ISP and also to update DDNS. When
dhclient does DHCPDISCOVER the ISP will issue a new lease for 43200 sec
after a normal DHCPOFFER, DHCPREQUEST and DHCPACK cycle; and the
interface gets bound to the given address. Now when the dhclient does a
subsequent DHCPREQUEST, server will issue DHCP with a declining
lease-time ending at the same time as original 43200s lease. By
releasing the lease and doing a new DHCPDISCOVER the lease time is reset
to 43200s. The ISP how ever keeps track of the MAC and will always issue
the same IP.

When the lease-time of 43200 runs out the default gw stops responding
and the internet connection dies. The only way to then get it to work is
to manually start a new discover cycle (ifdown - ifup).

I would like to configure the interface so, that there would not be an
interuption in network traffic! Because the IP doesn't change, I would
like to configure the WAN interface to stay up with the IP all the time
and get dhclient to do DHCPDISCOVER to the ISP to update ISP-firewall to
let the traffic through for the next 43200 sec. If the IP changes for
some reason, I would like the dhclient to update the WAN interface.

Would there be a ready way in Gentoo to achieve this? Or anyway :'D

Ps. I hate my ISP :(
Pps. I have other problems too...

--
-Matti