On 2018-07-21 23:04, Grant Edwards wrote:

> Manually installing things in /usr/bin or /usr/sbin will often cause
> problems because Portage assumes that it controls those directories.
>
> So don't do that: you should manually install things in /usr/local.
>
> Or, install qmail using portage, so that the system knows you have an
> MTA. If you don't like the default qmail ebuild for some reason, you
> can use your own.
>
> Or, tell Portage you have an MTA by adding an appropriate line to
> /etc/portage/profie/package.provided.  See portage(5).
>
> Or, don't use Gentoo if you don't want to do things the way Gentoo
> does things.

I agree than one should not normally install hand-compiled programs in
the normal directories controlled by portage.  I can see how the case of
MTA can tempt someone into violating that rule, though:  unlike most of
all other cases where a program is called by other programs, the path to
/usr/sbin/sendmail is usually hardcoded, and there is no well known
environment variable either (like EDITOR or PAGER). mutt has a runtime
configuration option for the MTA but that's unusual.

In fact, I myself am guilty of the corresponding sin on my Debian
server: I want to run the latest version of my pet MTA, exim, and with
the features I choose, so hand compiling is the only way.  And this week
it backfired on me too:  I carelessly installed some package that
depended on a MTA - and boom, /usr/sbin/sendmail, which had been a
symlink to /opt/exim/bin/exim, was overwritten by something like
nullmailer.

The /usr/sbin/sendmail convention is one of the parts of Unix that,
honestly, sucks.  With repeated and prolonged exposure one can get
irritated enough to turn Poettering :-P

On Gentoo the best way is to make your own package from your favorite
MTA _and_ your own virtual/mta, and make both available in a local repo.
Recently I discovered dma[1] which IMHO is the _best_ lightweight MTA
for client machines, so now I have a Gentoo package for it.

[1]
https://github.com/corecode/dma/