> How do I find out what mimetypes are associated with an application?
>
> I would just inspect the .desktop files
We use Gentoo here so you know which package installed your application.
for kate it's... kate ;)

$ qlist kate | grep desktop
/usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.katesessions/metadata.desktop
/usr/share/kservices5/plasma-dataengine-katesessions.desktop
/usr/share/kservices5/plasma-applet-org.kde.plasma.katesessions.desktop
/usr/share/applications/org.kde.kate.desktop

$ grep Mime /usr/share/applications/org.kde.kate.desktop
MimeType=text/plain;
Not a big help...

But... kate uses ktexteditor to show text. Do the same there (katepart) and
you should get the mimetypes associated with it.
Which is too long to post here ;)