Em seg, 23 de jul de 2018 às 11:47, Andrey F. <ma3ox...@gmail.com> escreveu:

> My experience is the same. Things are super fast with Nouveau, but the
> random system-wide lock ups were unbearable. I'm a KDE plasma user as well.
> My last experience was about 6 months ago.
>
> I wonder if there is anything we can do to help solve the lockup issues in
> the long run with Nouveau.
>
> On Mon, Jul 23, 2018, 04:20 Davyd McColl <dav...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> For what it's worth, my experience with Nouveau has been dismal.
>>
>> I use KDE plasma, which runs everything via accelerated graphics and I
>> would encounter system-wide lockups within 2 hours, often much closer to
>> within 10 minutes.
>> Nouveau has better terminal support though, supporting the higher
>> resolutions that the proprietary driver can't be bothered to support. So
>> if
>> you have a vt-only use-case, it's a win. But otherwise, I'm very wary.
>> Granted, the last time I tried was about a year ago, but the troubles I
>> had
>> been experiencing were common with other users for long before that.
>>
>> You could give it a try and see.
>>
>> As for usage, iirc, if it's enabled in your kernel config, it's loaded by
>> default, even if the proprietary drivers are installed. I blacklisted the
>> Nouveau module to get the proprietary one loaded (so that I could switch
>> back after a kernel update to see if it worked properly then). Again,
>> things may have changed from when I last tried, but I think you should be
>> able to enable, build and reboot to have it loaded already (obviously,
>> you
>> could rmmod and modprobe if the idea of a reboot doesn't sit well)
>>
>> -d
>>

>> On July 23, 2018 12:17:53 Philip Webb <purs...@ca.inter.net> wrote:
>>
>> > Among my efforts to get scanning working again with Gentoo,
>> > I've encountered another problem in a different area.
>> > Recently, I sent a message to this list re Nvidia-drivers
>> > -- that 396.24-r1 wouldn't start with my 4.14.52 kernel,
>> > so I started using 390.67 -- & I've now discovered that there's a
>> problem
>> > with any version of Nvidia & my previous 4.9.16 & 4.2.0-r1 kernels.
>> >
>> > Might I be better off, if I used Nouveau instead ?
>> > It is what Mint 17 & 19 seem to use, so must be fairly stable.
>> > So a few questions :
>> >
>> > (1) What are people's experiences with Nouveau ?
>> >     -- does it work easily with various kernels ?
>> >     -- does it manage graphics stably & reliably ?
>> >     -- I don't do much with video (a few newsreels) & don't use sound.
>> >
>> > (2) If I install it, how do I switch between Nouveau & Nvidia ?
>> >
>> > (3) Sadly, I didn't make a Quickpkg of the Nvidia version I was using
>> > when my scanner was working with Gentoo (last time 180626).
>> > I have the distfiles, but not the ebuilds :
>> > is there anywhere I can find ebuilds for Nvidia-Drivers 390.42 390.48 ?
>> >
>> > --
> [...]
Here goes my "me too". Nouveau drivers causing locks in the graphics
environment, locking also the keyboard, disallowing me to switch to a
common non-graphic terminal to try something.  I had to install a ssh
client app in my smart phone so I could try to unlock the system (with no
success) and, at least, shut it down gracefully.

I'm also a KDE user.  I've noticed more locks while using "chromium", but
this might have been a coincidence.

Best Regards,
Francisco