On Tue, 14 Aug 2018 16:06:21 -0400,
J. Roeleveld wrote:

> On August 14, 2018 11:42:18 AM UTC, John Covici <cov...@ccs.covici.com> wrote:
>
> >I use sanoid/syncoid to back up using zfs.  Its great, keeps snapshots
> >for as long as I want them (I use 80 days for now).  And it keeps
> >hourlies for the last couple of days as well, so I could roll back in
> >case of a problem.  Very nice if you use zfs.
>
> I tried sanoid, but it has a few problems which really become annoying when
> you have a lot of datasets:
> 1) every dataset is handled seperately, no use of recursive snapshots when
> datasets are inside the same tree
> 2) it keeps seperate hourly, daily,.... snapshots, which means it will
> happily create multiple snapshots with only a few seconds difference for
> every dataset around midnight.
> 3) when rolling back several snapshots, there are multiple errors reported
> because the cache (where does it store that?) does not match reality.
>
> Have these been resolved yet?
>
> I ended up writing my own system for this, got some extra intelligence in
> there to work around any possible error condition I have encountered.

Well, I got around your second point by having a special job at 11:59
pm to create the dailies and the one at midnight works well.  I only
do the cron jobs hourly, not every minute like they wanted.

If your script is not special for you, I would like to see it, maybe I
would use it instead.  Things seem to work for now, however with those
modifications.

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici wb2una