On 08/23/2018 10:27 AM, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2018-08-22, Zoltán Kócsi <zol...@bendor.com.au> wrote:
>> I have a Gentoo machine, which has not been updated for a while. Quite
>> a long while, actually.
>
>> It seems that I'm kind of stuck. Wiping the disk and rebuilding the
>> system from scratch is absolutely not an option, the existing (and
>> running) system must be updated somehow.
>
> Doing a reinstall will probably be far less work and less disruption
> for the machines user's.  You don't have to "wipe the disk" to do a
> re-install.

Yeah.

I would suggest after the back up then you simply clone the disk and
perform the re-install on another computer or in a VM so that you can
fiddle with things and then just swap out the drives vs having down-time
for your users potentially for days if something goes wrong on the
actual server.

It is what I do for situations like this and it works great.