On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 14:50:36 +0200, Helmut Jarausch wrote:

> On one machine - called SERVER - I have a USB printer which works just
> fine with CUPS.
> I've tried to make it "shared". This printer has the name USB_printer.
>
> On the other machine, which has no physical printer itself, I just
> want to add a remote printer which
> uses  USB_printer on the SERVER.
>
> If I try to configure this remote printer, my first problem is its
> name (URL)
> I've tried  ipp://SERVER:631/printers/USB_printer  but when I try to
> print to it,
> I always get "printer cannot be located"
>
> Would anybody be so kind to share (the relevant parts) of his/her
> cupsd.conf on the server as well as
> on the client?

Have you allowed access to the server from the local network? Something
like this in cupsd.conf

# Restrict access to the server...
<Location />
  Order allow,deny
  Allow localhost
  Allow 192.168.1.*
</Location>

--
Neil Bothwick

Why marry a virgin? If she wasn't good enough for the rest of them, then
she isn't good enough for you.