On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 8:42 AM Philip Webb <purs...@ca.inter.net> wrote:

> The problem seems to have arisen when he arranged a family holiday
> which clashed with an important Linux conference
> & irritated a lot of important people in the corporate Linux world.

I can't imagine that it helped when they moved the conference to where
he was going to be.  If somebody had booked flights months ago to get
lower rates, had hotels reserved, and so on, then that is a lot of
rebooking, change fees, and so on, and chances are the accommodations
aren't the same as what you'd have gotten with planning ahead.

> He's  48 yo  & beginning to age a bit & it's no threat to anyone
> if he's decided to take a break for a few kernel cycles.

++  Nobody owns Linus.  By now the kernel should be at a point where
others can manage the workflow if he isn't around.

--
Rich