On Wednesday, 3 October 2018 07:24:52 BST John Covici wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Oct 2018 01:13:34 -0400,
>
> J. Roeleveld wrote:
> > On Wednesday, October 3, 2018 6:30:12 AM CEST Davyd McColl wrote:
> > > Most newer external storage devices come formatted with ntfs these days,
> > > so
> > > if you just want to plug-and-play, I suggest installing ntfs-3g. File
> > > managers like dolphin and desktop environments like KDE will notice the
> > > device and allow you to mount and use them.
> > >
> > > Be aware, though, that ntfs-3g, whilst being an excellent bit of
> > > software
> > > (imo), is not the fastest way to access those disks. If you have no need
> > > move the disk to another computer or if you only plan on moving between
> > > Linux computers, I suggest formatting with a native filesystem like
> > > ext4.
> > > Personally, I use ntfs-3g for my 4 large external disks so that I can
> > > access them when I infrequently dual-boot to windows of on the
> > > off-chance
> > > that I would like to lend the drive to someone. I accept the performance
> > > penalty.
> > >
> > > -d

> > I would assume other desktop environments will also seamlessly work with
> > ntfs-3g as that is handled by udisks.
> >
> > Personally, I have not noticed lesser performance with ntfs-3g with both
> > reading and writing.
> >
> > I also have not had any issues with encrypted disks.
>
> I have had problems that once a disk is mounted with ntfs3g, and then
> trying to use it on a Windows system, I had to do a chkdsk /f before
> it would work properly.  This was a while ago, so maybe things are
> fixed by now, but I thought it was worth bringing it to your
> attention.

Did this problem manifest each time, or once only?  Could it have something to
do with unplugging the disk while still mounted.

I used to have an ntfs formatted partition which was mounted at each boot by
the linux OS (with an entry in fstab), but did not come across chkdsk when I
occassionally dual-booted into MSWindows.

For USB flash storage I'd use exFAT rather than NTFS or any other journalled
fs.

--
Regards,
Mick