On Friday, 23 November 2018 19:28:19 GMT Dale wrote:
> Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > Hello list,
> >
> > Over the last few days I've trimmed my plasma setup - to slightly below
> > the
> > minimum, by which I mean that sound notification has stopped working. I
> > can
> > hear streamed radio, but the plasma control panel doesn't show any devices
> > so I don't hear notifications.
> >
> > I've scanned the list of packages I removed but I can't see a likely
> > suspect, and google just returns results about having no sound at all,
> > which is not my case.
> >
> > Can anyone tell me which plasma module I need to install to hear
> > notifications again?
> >
> > Again, the hardware and low-level drivers are fine: it's just plasma
> > that's
> > missing a component.
>
> Could you be missing Kmix?  Since it controls volume/mute settings, I'd
> think it would be needed, maybe anyway.

Good idea, but no cigar.

Mick suggested pulseaudio. I don't think it can be that because there's no
sign of it in my backups; neither in world nor under /etc/portage. I'll try it
though; I just need to decide whether to set the USE flag globally or just on
certain packages - or just emerge pulseaudio. The global setting causes 10
rebuilds, including ffmpeg and firefox, as well as 9 new packages, so don't
hold your breath.

--
Regards,
Peter.