Two Intel systems with 4G RAM failed to build chromium, even after setting
MAKEOPTS="-j2". The ebuild is checking for a minimum of 3G RAM:

>>> Running pre-merge checks for www-client/chromium-70.0.3538.110
 * Checking for at least 3 GiB RAM ...                                [ ok ]
 * Checking for at least 5 GiB disk space at "/var/tmp/portage/www-client/
chromium-70.0.3538.110/temp" ...                                      [ ok ]

Given I've spent more than two days compiling to get nowhere with this, I'm
thinking:

a) Chromium probably needs more than 3G now.
b) Either the ebuild, or portage, ought to check available RAM and dynamically
adjust the number of jobs accordingly - or have I watched too many AI movies?

--
Regards,
Mick