On 12/11/2018 03:53 PM, Tsukasa Mcp_Reznor wrote:
Actually I haven't found the need for a menu at all, dnsmasq serves whatever kernel I have symbolically linked to the clients from their boot folder

Nice.

Aside: I played with a PXELINUX (?) menu to boot a few different things. It's been too long for me to remember details. But I was quite happy with it. I think I had installers for a couple of different Linux distros and a couple of DOS based utilities.

I've had this same IP for months on this machine, I would assume the same for the others,

Fair enough.

as far as log messages from the server, it answers the same to each request from the same mac as far back I I've scrolled through

Okay. So there's no obvious conflict with UEFI and the OS DHCPing from the same MAC address. Relatively clean transition.

Yes all are booting the same kernel

Nice.

(Kernel parameters moved to individual lines so my brain can absorb them.)

ip=dhcp

So, there are three things DHCPing.

1)  UEFI firmware
2)  Kernel itself
3)  OS init scripts

Intriguing.

root=/dev/nfs
rootfstype=nfs

I had no idea that there was an nfs device. I am assuming that it's specific to the fact that the root file system type is NFS. - I must research this more.

rw
nfsroot=ServerIP:/diskless
/root,nolock,fsc,tcp,proto=tcp,vers=4,nfsvers=4.2,rsize=1048576,wsize=1048576

I assume:

"ServerIP" is the NFS server's IP address.

"/diskless" is the NFS export

"/root,nolock,fsc,tcp,proto=tcp,vers=4,nfsvers=4.2,rsize=1048576,wsize=1048576" are NFS mount options.

raid=noautodetect

Why have a raid parameter? Is there something in the kernel that you don't need and are disabling? Or is this somehow influencing how file systems are mounted on boot?

Do OS init scripts try to remount root? Or is there not an entry in /etc/fstab for the root, and just rely on the kernel's mount?

all the same root, I actually just have a custom bash script in local.d (openrc) for handling specifics for each node (adding dvd/blueray whatever to fstab)

Hum.

How are you handling the hostnames?  Or is that dynamic?

What about user accounts? Are all your client systems using the same password & group files?

What about SSH host keys?

anything that conflicts like /var/log I just have as tmpfs on each machine

I can see that for logs. But I don't think that an empty tmpfs is sufficient for things like passwd / group files or ssh host keys.

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Diskless_nodes I got my start from reading that, well unless you count doing diskless with ubuntu in the way way past, my hard drive died then and I wasn't about to just use a livedvd unable to really install anything lol
$ReadingList++

Thank you for the link and kindling something that's been a latent interest of mine.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die