On 12/14/18 3:31 AM, Joerg Schilling wrote:
Steve Dibb <bean...@gentoo.org> wrote:

On 12/3/18 9:27 AM, Pouru Lasse wrote:
I've got a bunch of scratched disc-based games (PS2, Xbox 360) that I'd
like to check for errors. Is there any program for Linux that does this?
I found and tried dvdisaster, but it only works for CDs, not
DVDs. Everything else seems to be Windows-only.

- Lasse

For DVDs, I use ddrescue. Keep a log of it as well in case you want to
do a second pass or just see where it's puking. Use its blocksize of 2048:

ddrescue -b 2048 /dev/sr0 dvd.iso ddrescue.log
readcd is better for any optical media as it is able to directly send SCSI
commands. Note that readcd implements the error recovery from sdd(1), that
exists since 35 years and I also prefer for normal disks.
That's way cool to know. MakeMKV does the same thing - it rips stuff directly using SCSI commands, and you have to have SCSI generic driver support (/dev/sg*) enabled in the kernel for it to work.

With software that operates at block driver level, you depend on the error
recovery features from the OS driver.

OS driver, do you mean for SCSI in Linux or the driver for that ATA chipset?