On Sunday, 6 January 2019 17:07:35 GMT gevisz wrote:
> вс, 6 янв. 2019 г. в 15:57, Peter Humphrey <pe...@prh.myzen.co.uk>:
> > On Sunday, 6 January 2019 11:05:10 GMT gevisz wrote:
> > > I never used LVM as I believe that it increases the chance of [losing]
> > > all the information on hard disks.
> >
> > Interesting. Would you like to explain why?
>
> I had once a 40GB HDD failure and I have managed to restore
> all the data on it by repeatedly putting it in a fridge what enabled
> me to dd its partions for about 10 minutes or so. But in that case
> the partitions were relatively small and the disk mounted quick
> and easy. Now imagine that have failed a 4TB HDD disk that is
> part of much bigger LVM volume. Moreover, suppose that it is
> impossible to restore that part of the failed HDD disk that indexes
> all that LVM volume...

There's also the probability of corruption of the LVM table on the disk.
Arguably a small probability, but nevertheless one additional reference table
for things to go wrong, should Murphy and his law have anything to do with it.
I also prefer to keep disks with critical data as simple as possible, plan
ahead of applying partitioning schemes for particular use case requirements
and consequently I do not use LVM.  On the other hand, there are use cases
where LVM can be invaluable - ill defined or ever changing disk space
requirements where over-provisioning of spare space can be expensive.  So as
with most things in life it is a balancing act.  ;-)

--
Regards,
Mick