On 2019/01/18 13:10:45, Andrew Lowe <a...@wht.com.au> wrote:
Hi all,
About year ago I updated my nVidia graphics card. The sound stopped
working and it turns out the new card makes it's onboard, HDMI, audio
appear before the motherboard sound hence no sound via the 3.5mm jack. I
usually have all of my device drivers statically linked, no modules, so
to fix this problem, I had to make the sound driver a module and do some
blacklisting voodoo. Besides the dodgy workaround, problem fixed.

I'm now in the process of moving from spinning disks to ssd hence have
done a total reinstall of Gentoo. After the install, once again I have
no sound. Does any one know if in the last year, a nicer way has been
found to fix this "problem"?

Thoughts greatly appreciated,

Andrew

PulseAudio or ALSA only?

afaik, PulseAudio has a gui for setting default device; with ALSA, I'd
recommend setting up an ~/.asoundrc file. Whilst I have similar parameters to
you (nvidia hdmi audio device, etc), I also use this to output to two devices,
so my .asoundrc file is probably way too convoluted to help you; however,
there's a stack-overflow question about this
(https://superuser.com/questions/626606/how-to-make-alsa-pick-a-preferred-sound-device-automatically)
 which suggests something along the lines of:

pcm.!default {
  type hw
  card 1
}

ctl.!default {
  type hw
  card 1
}

(after determining which card to make primary with `aplay -l`; my setup uses
card names, so that's possible too)

-d