On 2019.01.24 15:17, Michael Jones wrote:
[snip....]
A lot of people run emerge without checking the preliminary console output.
But most (I hope) of them understand the possible problems, and are willing to "pick up the pieces" if something goes wrong. Most of them do not blame the Gentoo developers in such a case.

I don't think it's fair to imply that doing that is somehow wrong.
Some/many of us might disagree. If you don't check the output to see exactly what emerge is going to do, it may well not do what you want/expect. Is it "wrong" to drive your car with a blindfold on?

The vast majority of Linux distributions support unattended upgrades without a second thought.
The vast majority of Linux distributions are binary distributions, where a package either works or not, and if it doesn't, it is very likely a packaging error. The vast majority of Linux distributions do not install from source, with lots of ways of configuring things to the user's liking, many of which possible configurations will not work. I would say that binary distributions are much more deterministic in their behavior. You really can't run Gentoo safely for very long without paying close attention to what you are doing - with both installs and upgrades.

Jack