On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 12:48 PM Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwa...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I'm shopping for an IMAP email client that does a decent job of
> handling HTML.  After doing a bit of reading I decided the first one
> to try would be Geary.
>
> Bzzt!
>
> Though it's in the portage tree unamasked and marked stable, you can't
> actually _build_ it, since it requires an old, vulnerable version of
> webkit-gtk that _isn't_ in the portage tree.
>
> So I thought maybe I'd try it out using a flatpak "package":
>
>     https://flathub.org/apps/details/org.gnome.Geary
>
> But, flatpak isn't in the standard portage tree, so you have to use an
> overlay or local repo.
>
> This is beginning to look like a lot of work.
>
> Is it practical to use flatpak apps on Gentoo?

In my experience is amazing. Gentoo sometimes takes a lot of time to
stabilize some packages; flatpak usually have them immediately. For nightly
builds is even better, since you don't need to pollute your stable system.

I'm using

git://github.com/fosero/flatpak-overlay.git

(I don't use layman) The only keyworded package I have is flatpak-builder;
everything else is stable.

I regularly run in flatpak Inkscape, GNOME Builder, Glade, Pitivi, and
Steam (Cities: Skylines runs really well in Linux); but you can use it to
test new software too. It's trivial to install, update and remove software.

With all these packages, my flatpak repositories are using 13Gb, which is
nothing for my hard drive; but it will duplicate libraries from your
regular Linux distribution.

Also, I run systemd; I *think* it's necessary to run flatpak.

Regards.
--
Dr. Canek Peláez Valdés
Profesor de Carrera Asociado C