On 3/17/19 10:48 AM, Peter Humphrey wrote:
Hello list,

Hi,

My little Atom box has a small rescue system which I boot once a week to back up the main system. The backup script is a simple list of bash commands to mount partitions and tar them to a USB disk.

Please share a copy of the backup script.

While the backup is running I run another script to clean up after any recent update, which involves removing surplus packages, running eclean etc.

Please share a copy of your cleanup script.

But! At least once per session I have to remount the root filesystem read- write because something, presumably tar, has caused it to be remounted read- only.

"tar" itself shouldn't alter mounts at all.

It is possible that there could be a mount option that causes the file system to be remounted read-only if there is a problem accessing the file system.

Where do I start tracking this down? This behaviour was a factor in my suspecting an SSD failure, but I've replaced that and still get the same remounting.

But such remounting is not likely on a new SSD.

I'd need to see the scripts to even hazard a guess as to what might be happening.