I just put an SSD into my hp dl585g7.  I used the provided sata SSD drive
connector, it's on the same sata driver that runs the optical drive.  It's
terribly slow to boot etc.  Is this just a slow controller designed to keep up
with an optical drive and swamped by an SSD?  would pulling the optical drive
help?   I may wind up hooking it to the internal SAS controller with a suitable
cable (there are 2 cables to the plugable hard drive area, i could swap one for
another cable as I'm only using 2 hard drives.  I'd just need to extend the
power from the built in ssd connector.  Advice?   Suggestions??  At this point
it's slow to boot like a thumb drive on USB 2 or an optical drive.  I have an
identical SSD in my desktop and it runs near the rated 500MB/s so I'm confident
the SSD is good.

"We the People Dare to Create a More Perfect Union" <aclu.org>