Grant Taylor wrote:
> What is the best way to clean up the world file?
>
> I have inherited a system where someone did individual emerges to
> update packages when there was a single package that had a problem.
> So, now all the packages that emerge wanted to update have been added
> to the world file.
>
> I'd like to clean up world file so that it's back to just the original
> packages and allow emerge to manage the dependencies.  More
> specifically, I'd like the standard emerge --depclean to remove
> no-longer-needed dependencies after removing the things that depended
> on them.
>
> I can derive a list of the extra dependencies from the
> /var/log/emerge.log file by looking for clusters of individual
> installs really close to each other.

I would start by removing anything that has libs in it.  Generally,
those should be pulled in as deps.  After that, I'd go through the list
and remove anything that you don't directly use.  Example, leave Firefox
since it is a web browser you use directly, Libreoffice is another
example. Other examples may be Smplayer, VLC, digiKam and other similar
programs.  There used to be a script that does this fairly well but not
sure if it still works or even exists.  As you remove items, run emerge
-a --depclean to see what would be removed.  Look for anything you want
to keep and add those as needed.  It can take time to complete this sort
of task if your world file is a real mess.

Ah, it just hit me.

root@fireball / # regenworld -h
This script regenerates the portage world file by checking the portage
logfile for all actions that you've done in the past. It ignores any
arguments except --help. It is recommended that you make a backup of
your existing world file (/var/lib/portage/world) before using this tool.
root@fireball / #

I might add, I put the option -1 in my make.conf for emerge defaults so
that anytime I emerge something, it doesn't get added to the world
file.  If I want to add something to the world file, I use --select y to
override the -1 in make.conf.  It's so easy to forget to add -1 and make
a mess of the world file, I decided to set it so I don't have to
remember.  You may want to consider this.

Dale

:-)  :-)