On 2019.06.06 11:59, Grant Taylor wrote:
On 6/6/19 9:57 AM, Grant Taylor wrote:
It seems as if the regenworld script adds things that it finds from /var/log/emerge.log that aren't themselves dependencies of something else.  Thus it the world file is cleaner than if all installed packages were in the world file.

To put some numbers to it, regenworld crates a new world file that is ~250 lines on a machine that has > 950 packages installed (as reported by emerge -DuNeq @world).

So it's better.  But I think I still need to clean the world file.
I've been going through this lately also (mainly due to forgetting -1 on updates) and put together a script, which I can post later if anyone wants. However, the bottom line for me is to do "emerge -pc package" for each package in world to see what (if anything) else pulled it in. If it was pulled in by something else, I remove it from the world file, unless I explicitly want it installed. The script just does most of that, producing a file that makes it easier for me to see what -pc would remove and what is actually installed.

Currently my world file is 292 lines, with 1863 packages installed (from "eix-installed -a".)

I'm not going to even try regenworld, as I'm in the midst of converting to the 17.1 profile, and have quite a number of packages that don't yet seem to cope with that change well.

Jack