Grant Taylor wrote:
> I'm having problems with newly compiled modules (zfs (et al.) and vbox
> (et al.)) and kernel after doing two "emerge -DuNe @world"s.
>
> Everything worked fine after rebooting after the first "emerge -DuNe
> @world".  So, I did another "emerge -DuNe @world".  (This harks back
> to the old stage 1 -> stage 2 -> stage 3 methodology that I cut my
> teeth on.  Create the new tool, use said tool to recreate the tool.)
>
> After the reboot after this second "emerge -DuNe @world" is when my
> ZFS pool became inaccessible.
>
> Aside:  I migrated from ZFS 0.7.999 to 0.8 as part of the first
> emerge. This worked fine.
>
> I have since found out that I can't load vbox* modules, nor can I boot
> a kernel that I can successfully build.
>
> The modules fail with the following error:
>
>    modprobe: ERROR: could not insert '<module name>': Exec format error.
>
> Dmesg reports the following associated error:
>
>    [ <seconds since boot>] module: <module name>: Unknown rela
> relocation: 4
>
> My searches online have made me think that this /might/ be a problem
> with newer binutils.  But I'm not sure.
>
> So, I figured that I'd ask for some help / input before I do something
> drastic that I might regret, like making things worse, or painting
> myself into a corner that I can't back out of.
>
> Aside:  I have regained access to my ZFS pool by restoring the ZFS
> contents of the /lib/modules/<version>/extra directory.

I'm not sure I completely understand this one but a thought occurred to
me.  This may be way off base here so feel free to ignore it if it is.
Did you make sure the kernel symlink is pointing to the right kernel
when you rebuilt the modules?  I've had times in the past where I missed
that and updated video drivers or something and it got weird.  If it
isn't pointing to the right one, it places the modules in the wrong
directory.  You think you are doing it right because it doesn't fail, it
will install wherever the symlink points to after all.  Still, even tho
everything seems fine, it's putting it in the wrong place.

If this has nothing to do with the problem, ignore me.

Dale

:-)  :-)