On 6/17/19 5:37 AM, Grant Taylor wrote:
I doubt it.

I've routinely done emerges on machines with < 16 GB of memory and 2 GB of swap.?? Including llvm, clang, gcc, rust, Firefox and Thunderbird.

I routinely do an emerge -DuNe @world on a VPS with 1 GB of memory and 1 GB of swap.?? It works just fine.?? If I want to speed things up I enlarge the VPS to 2 GB of memory and 1 GB of swap.?? Granted, it doesn't try to compile things like Firefox and Thunderbird, thus Rust.

Yes. I've run systems without swap and <=8GB of RAM for years and haven't had any problems with emerging packages (including rust, firefox, gcc...).

If hibernate is not needed, and the system has enough RAM, there is little point in having swap at all. It all depends on the usage, so I don't think any (generic) guidelines make sense.