Daniel Frey wrote:
> On 6/19/19 11:27 AM, Grant Taylor wrote:
>> On 6/19/19 11:37 AM, Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov wrote:
>>> echo '>sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-4.15' >>
>>> /etc/portage/package.mask/kernels
>>
>> Perfect!
>>
>> Thank you.  :-)
>>
>> I did name the file /etc/portage/package.mask/gentoo-sources as I
>> like to name the file after the package that it's meant to effect.
>>
>> The testing is even better than I had originally hoped.
>> gentoo-sources-4.14.127.ebuild came in since I did my updates a few
>> days ago.  So now emerge is telling me there is a new version of
>> gentoo-sources, that is within my specified parameters.  :-)
>>

> I was thinking about this for a bit, and thought that maybe adding the
> slot to the package in /var/lib/portage/world would work.
>
> So, using `emerge --select` and `emerge --deselect` I set up my world
> file this way:
>
> # grep -i gentoo-sources /var/lib/portage/world
> sys-kernel/gentoo-sources:4.14.105-r1
> sys-kernel/gentoo-sources:4.14.114
> sys-kernel/gentoo-sources:4.14.83
>
> I removed all other kernel packages manually so only those three are
> installed.
>
> However, portage still wants to install the latest gentoo-sources,
> even though the generic "sys-kernel/gentoo-sources" is absent from the
> world file.
>
> I figured this would be a way to manually update the kernel without
> having to manually add and remove masks. Darn.
>
> That's not how I'd expect portage to handle that situation (or maybe
> it's just me?) Can a dev chime in?
>
> Dan

I don't think my way will be any better but this is how I do it.  I mask
gentoo-sources completely until I want to update.  When I want to
update, I comment out the mask in the mask file and uncomment the entry
in the keyword file.  At that point I can emerge whatever version I want
and then undo the changes when I've emerged it.

The bad thing about this, sometimes I have to use exclude gentoo-sources
from things such as --depclean.  It's annoying but it's the only way I
could come up with to do this.

Honestly, I'm not sure there is a easy way to do this.  No matter how it
is done, it causes some other annoying issue to pop up.  I was hoping
someone had a really nifty idea on this which is why I'm also following
this thread.  My way might be a option but then again, you may not like
it for the same reasons I don't.  ;-)

Dale

:-)  :-)