On 05/10/22 00:45, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
> On Friday 21 October 2005 22:13, Jeff Smelser wrote:
> > On Friday 21 October 2005 02:24 pm, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
> > > but at least now you know why you should not use --deep.
> >
> > Why not? I use it here and I never get crashes.. One doesnt mean the other.
> >

> because some apps (like, for example xine) doesn't like it, when some of
> their
> dependencies get upgraded with a --deep world (like ffmpeg or transcode),
> while themselves are not recombiled.
>
> xine will not crash - but some video-filters will be gone.
>
> It is just not wise:
> App X linked against library L.
> Now you do an --update --deep world.
> lib L gets a new version L.1.1.
> But X does not recompiled, and funny things can happen now.

This reasoning is pretty much void when dealing with libraries, since
there's often more than one application depending on a particular
library.

Example:
App A and app B link agains library L.
Run an 'emerge -u A' and app A, and library L gets upgraded.
App B is fucked in the same way as you having run an 'emerge -deep
world', since B is not recompiled but its dependency is.

--
Regards,
  Patrick Börjesson

PGP signature: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x21792A5D
PGP fingerprint: 74AF D4EF 6BDE CF77 16BE  6A29 CDB8 7607 2179 2A5D