On Tue, 07 May 2019 13:05:59 +0200
Helmut Jarausch <jarau...@skynet.be> wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm struggling with layman. Using version 2.4.2-r1 as well as version
> 9999 I get
> for several overlays like for palemoon :
>
> layman -a palemoon
>
>   * Adding overlay...
>   * Overlay "palemoon" is not official. Continue installing? [y/n]: y
>
>   * CLI: Errors occurred processing action add
>   * Exception caught installing repository "palemoon":
>   * unterminated character set at position 1
>
> So, what does this error message really mean.
> What file is involved and how to fix this?
>
> Many thanks for a hint,
> Helmut

It looks like bug #676074[1]

I've found a suitable workaround of looking at the versions of python
I'm building layman for, and explicitly telling it to use a version of
Python other than 3.7 to run layman.

katipo2 ~ # EPYTHON=python3.7 layman -a pentoo

 * Adding overlay...

 * CLI: Errors occurred processing action add
 * Exception caught installing repository "pentoo":
 * unterminated character set at position 1

katipo2 ~ # EPYTHON=python3.6 layman -a pentoo

 * Adding overlay...
 * Running Git... # ( cd /var/lib/layman  && /usr/bin/git clone
https://github.com/pentoo/pentoo-overlay.git /var/lib/layman/pentoo )
 * Running Git... # ( cd /var/lib/layman/pentoo  && /usr/bin/git config
user.name "layman" )
 * Running Git... # ( cd /var/lib/layman/pentoo  && /usr/bin/git config
user.email "layman@localhost" )
 * Successfully added overlay(s) pentoo.

1: https://bugs.gentoo.org/676074