Adam Carter wrote:
On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 7:47 PM <p...@xvalheru.org <mailto:p...@xvalheru.org>>
wrote:

    Hi,

    Since last week my gentoo installation start to randomly freeze. The
    first I've detected was during huge disk usage, another was during
    hibernation, etc. I think it might be related to HDD problems, but I
    want to be sure. In kernel log there are some errors, but I'm not able
    to decide if those causes the freezing or not (I've saw such messages
    earlier too, so I'm not sure). So, is there a good diagnostic tool to
    check HW and mainly HDD? What I need to decide is if buying new HDD will
    fix the issue or not

Install smartmontools then

# smartctl -a /dev/sda

I think Adam answered the OP but I just wanted to understand the kernel log:

- the errors are from device pcieport 0000:00:1c.0
- according to "pci 0000:00:1c.0: [8086:9d14] type 01 class 0x060400", this is should be a PCI bridge.

So the error may come from the bridge itself or from a device attached to the bridge, I suppose?

- the disk is attached to ata1: "ata1.00: ATA-10: ST2000LM015-2E8174, SDM1, max
UDMA/133"
- ata1 is "ata1: SATA max UDMA/133 abar m2048@0xd1133000 port 0xd1133100 irq
122"

Is there a way to understand where the ata1 is physically attached to?
In other words, can one tell from the log if the error comes from the ata1 device or something else?

thanks,

raffaele