Mick wrote:
> On Saturday, 3 August 2019 16:45:07 BST Dale wrote:
>> Walter Dnes wrote:
>>> On Sat, Aug 03, 2019 at 12:24:51AM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote

>>>   So far so good. The basic system is installed and booting.  One
>>>
>>> question... can I just set the "bindist" USE flag globally.  On a basic
>>> text install (Xorg not installed yet) in package.use I've already set...
>>>
>>> dev-libs/openssl bindist
>>> net-misc/openssh bindist
>>> net-wireless/iw bindist
>>> net-wireless/wpa_supplicant bindist
>> Just out of curiosity I did a euse -i bindist.  It seems what that flag
>> does sort of depends on the package it is set for.  You may want to
>> investigate what it will do on those packages before setting it
>> globally.  Of course, if the majority of the time you want that enabled,
>> you could disable it for those packages where it does something you
>> don't want but have the default set to on.  Whichever is easier.
>>
>> Hope that helps.
>>
>> BTW, I moved my tree and such to /var/cache/portage/ a few years ago.
>> At the time, that was the location most supported but I guess time
>> changed things and they picked another location.  Other than knowing
>> what location for emerge and friends to put and look for the related
>> items, it doesn't matter where one puts it really, as long as
>> permissions are correct.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-)  :-)
> Unless you're building binaries to redistribute it doesn't make sense to set
> it globally.  I vaguely recall something going sideways with openssl when I
> had this flag set in the past, so I've left it unset since.

It's been a long time since I did a install but I was thinking the same
as you.  For us users, it doesn't need to be set at all from what I
recall.  When I saw the flag, it rang a bell, just lightly, and that was
what made me curious about it.  The default seems to be off and it is
off here.

Dale

:-)  :-)