Walter Dnes wrote:
   I just updated Gentoo on my old backup machine, an 11-year-old Dell
Inspiron 530 desktop, and there's no mention of profile 17.1 in either
"eselect profile list" or "eselect news list".  I'm not looking for
extra hassle, but I wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything obvious.

Same here, nothing to worry about:

"In the new profiles, the lib->lib64 compatibility symlink is removed.
64-bit libraries need to be installed directly to lib64.  /lib
and /usr/lib become real directories, that are used for cross-arch
and native non-library packages (gcc, clang) and 32-bit libraries
on the multilib profile (which improves compatibility with prebuilt x86
packages)." [1]

On x86 system there is no lib32 nor lib64, everything is already under lib.

raffaele

[1] https://www.gentoo.org/support/news-items/2019-06-05-amd64-17-1-profiles-are-now-stable.html