Hi there,

In the last months I experienced that emerge takes longer and longer to
collect all dependencies, sometimes more than 10 to 20 minutes until it asks
me whether to install the packages.

Today I had a new record. 61min(!) on a i7-Quadcore notebook, 59min user time,
i.e. Portage being busy. What is portage doing all the time? It can't be that
it takes more than one hour to tell me what packages to install without having
installed/compiled one single package!

apollo ~ # time emerge -p -avukDN -j2 --verbose-conflicts --keep-going=y --
binpkg-changed-deps --with-bdeps=y --rebuilt-binaries=y --exclude cross-
armv7v-hardfloat-linux-gnueabi/glibc world

 * IMPORTANT: config file '/etc/portage/package.keywords/yapf' needs updating.
 * See the CONFIGURATION FILES and CONFIGURATION FILES UPDATE TOOLS
 * sections of the emerge man page to learn how to update config files.

Calculating dependencies... done!

[verbose output messages, packages, conflicts skipped here]

 * IMPORTANT: 59 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
 * Use eselect news read to view new items.

real    61m51,252s
user    59m5,839s
sys     2m45,123s
apollo ~ #